Andrew Hill’s Newest Role
We are so proud of Andrew Hill, one of our founders, who is serving as President of the Rotary Club of Shanghai for 2016-17. Read about why he took on another big role in the community and what his goals for the year are.
Trainings in the Community:
- In July, Davy Guo held a workshop on positive parenting for children age 2-5 years, which explored psychological developmental milestones. Participants looked at basic learning theories to enable them to be more effective parents. The goal of this seminar was to raise awareness of parental responsibility and efficacy.
- In June, Siyang Sun gave two talks at The Annual Conference of the Chinese International Speech-Language and Hearing Association to medical professionals. He integrated the story of ELG to emphasize the importance of specialized education into both speeches. Read more about his experience in his own words.
- Siyang Sun also provided a training in Hong Kong for the AnAn International Education Foundation, which aims to equip participants with knowledge and skills in assessing and treating children with low-functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Interns and Volunteers
ELG was grateful to host a large number of interns and volunteers from around the world this summer. We wish them all the best and will miss them!
- Aidan from the US interned in our marketing department during the month of July. He was in China with Villanova University where he will be a graduating senior this year with a degree in communications.
- Alison spent July and August interning with our marketing department before returning to the US to begin her third year at the University of San Francisco as an international studies major.
- Christine spent six weeks helping take care of children and plan activities in the Summer Program, as well as developing projects with ELG’s sister NGO, Xiersen. She is in high school and plans to pursue a degree in psychology at university.
- Claire joins us from Shanghai University of Sports where she will be a senior psychology major this fall. She has been interning in our ILC admin office since late May and will be continuing her internship until the end of 2016.
- Ng Hang, Liew, and Guo interned with the Summer Program, working with small groups of children, and are now assisting with the full-time ILC program. They are pursuing their bachelors’ degrees in psychology from the University Malaysia Sabah.
- Steffi studies pharmacology in the UK. She spent August interning in various departments of ELG, mostly focusing on clinical work and marketing support.
- Tamera studies child development and family studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. For seven weeks this summer, she helped to document the daily activities of Summer Program participants with photos, videos and weekly reports to parents.
- Tooba joined various ELG departments as an intern for August. She comes from Leeds University in the UK where she is studying Arabic and international development.
- Vicky interned in the Summer Program, helping to take care of children. She attends the Shanghai American School Puxi and hopes to study psychology in university.